Pages

Saturday, December 1, 2012

A Day in Zhuhai

“Adoption is a redemptive response to tragedy that happens in this broken world.” Katie Davis, Kisses from Katie

Once our eyes are opened, we can't pretend we don't know what to do. God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows what we know, and holds us responsible to act. Proverbs 24:1

A lot of significant things have happened in the last 24 hours, and I am still processing it all, but I wanted to write down my thoughts on the orphanage visit before too much time passes. 
Thursday, November 29, was an early morning for our crew ... we all loaded up in a van with our guide Miko and a driver at 8 a.m. to drive to Zhuhai, which is about 2.5 hours south of Guangzhou. It is right on the coast of the South China Sea.
We drove through the city, which we learned is the 3rd wealthiest city in Guangdong province. It was a VERY nice city. We pulled up to the orphanage and were greeted by a number of orphanage employees with cameras in hand. It was quite a welcome! Even the nurse was outside waiting for us. She picked Collins up and immediately started fussing over her, feeling her forehead, trying to cover her up more with the thick, warm jacket I had. All of this I totally expected, but apparently it wasn't enough because I got fussed at for not dressing her warmly enough! She told me she thought CC had a fever and that she needed to take her temperature. These orphanage visits sure make you feel like Mom of the Year. ;o)
While we were walking in the entrance, two beautiful women pulled up and immediately came over and started fawning over CC, picking her up, kissing her, taking pictures of her. It was then that I realized my new daughter is somewhat of a rock star at this place. Miko told me that the women were part of a Mom's Volunteer group that spends time with the children at the orphanage and that they came today to say goodbye to CC. One of the women brought her a gift -- a thick, soft and puffy outfit. If you've been to China, you know the kind of outfit I'm talking about. It has thick, puffy pants; a thick, puffy undershirt; a thick, puffy vest; and a cute fluffy white hat to match. It is really nice quality and I know she spent some money on it. She and the nurse tried to stick CC's tiny little legs into the pants that would probably fit Lia Kate. It didn't work and they gave up. It really was so sweet for this woman to love CC so much to want to do this for her. I am very honored and this outfit and the pictures of these women will go in her box of special adoption keepsakes.
The Real Housewives of Zhuhai ;o)
We were led into an office where we looked at pictures on the wall of other children who had been adopted from Zhuhai and met some of the orphanage officials. We then were told that CC indeed did not have a temperature (vindication!), but that we would stop by the doctor's office anyway. With that, they led us to a "triage" room and put CC on a bed and listened to her raspy lungs. I had noticed the rasp the second I held her in my arms on Gotcha day. They asked me how long she has had the runny nose, I told them I didn't know since she came with it. ;o) They told me they would prepare some medication for her.
Triage. My big kids thought they were taking her back. :o( Our moms kind of wondered too. 
I wasn't worried because I knew they just cared about our girl and wanted to make sure she was healthy.
Then, they took us upstairs to the baby room! As we walked in, there were pictures by the door of all the little ones in their care. 
And Nanny Lisa greeted CC at the door with a kiss
The nannies greeted her with cheers, hugs and kisses. You could see the love for her emanating from everyone there. And CC greeted everyone with a smile. It really was a special time of meeting everyone and letting them say their goodbyes. I firmly believe this orphanage is a very special place where children are getting exceptional care. The nurse told us that she spends time with each child every day! And even the orphanage director knew the children by name.

The minute I walked in the baby room I spotted the little girl of a new friend of mine. This little girl will soon be living just about 20 minutes away from us! Next, I spotted another baby girl who will very soon be leaving about 90 minutes away from us! This was one of the reasons that I wanted to wait for a file from our agency's partnership program ... the likelihood of orphanage-mates living near and growing up with one another. I am so thrilled that these two precious girls will be home with their families soon, and that all of our girls will be in close proximity to each other.
These three Southern Chinese girls will soon be Southern U.S. girls!
CC's crib
We got to walk around the baby area, which consists of three connected rooms. Two of the rooms have cribs (maybe 15 each) and one of the rooms is a playroom/gathering room. We saw CC's crib and it already has a new little person in it. We only saw one baby who looked younger than CC. The rest looked like they were between 1 and 2ish.
                            
Looking into the first crib room from the gathering room
We got to ask more questions about CC and found out she started crawling b/n 6 and 7 months. And she has been pulling up and cruising in the crib since she turned 9 months old, a relatively new skill. The nurse gave me a bottle of medicine they had prepared for her and laughed when CC didn't try to hold the bottle herself. Since I have had her, she hasn't once attempted to hold the bottle with her own hands (a skill most babies in orphanages master early). They said she has been holding her own bottle since she was 5 or 6 months old. I'm glad she doesn't mind me doing it for her, though! And I love that she gazes into my eyes when I feed her ... just like it should be. 
                           
We also got to deliver some items from waiting Zhuhai parents, as well as some photo albums of a recent Zhuhai adoptee who has had surgery since coming home. The nannies LOVED getting to see her pictures. It was so apparent to me how much they love these children.
                           
One of the photo collages that hung in the crib room, near CC's bed. Her picture is at the top center.
                                      
Our moms standing back, watching the chaos!
They took us all around the facilities, which were built in 2007. The orphanage is home to 180 or so children. It was very nice and they look like they really have a lot of resources for the children in their care. They have a preschool for the younger children taught by Americans (they learn English), as well as a school across the street for special needs children. They also have a covered outdoor play area with lots of riding toys and playground equipment.
Playroom
Handwashing towels hanging in the preschool area
One last bottle before we said goodbye

CC did get a little overwhelmed at the end. It was a lot of stimulation. So I took her in my arms again and they gave me a bottle to feed her. We said our goodbyes ... took some last sweet pictures ... and walked out the front door. I am so glad we'll get to tell her first-hand about the place she lived for 9 months and about the women who loved her.

My takeaway from the orphanage visit was...she was very well-loved and cared for, but also that we are going to have to work on attachment because she was probably held and cared for by so many different people. She loves to smile at people and will go to just about anyone. I am trying to be the only one who holds her and the one to meet all of her needs, so that we can build a healthy attachment to her as her parents.

After we left the orphanage, we went to grab a bite of food, and then we went on a tour of Zhuhai searching for more about where CC came from. 
                                     
Britton made buddies with our driver, who was our same driver when we adopted Lia Kate
Collins is such a blessing and I can't believe she is our daughter now. We are abundantly and richly blessed by her and we are so very thankful for the loving people of Zhuhai who have been the hands of feet of Jesus to our baby girl!
                                       

4 comments:

  1. Thank you much for delivering the albums. I can see them looking at one in one of the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Joy! They passed them around and everyone looked. Lisa poured over her album too. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am amazed by the quality of Collins' orphanage! It is nicer than any I've been in...even the cribs look much nicer! :) The nannies see to care so much for the kids, which we know isn't always the case. I have no doubt that CC was absolutely adored there! She is PRECIOUS!

    I teared up again seeing Danny's mom in the picture with your mom. I'm praying for her and Danny and everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't stop the tears...what a relief to know our little girl is being cared after and loved on. Oh my...

    ReplyDelete