Pages

Monday, November 26, 2012

Gotcha Day!

"A life changed is worth it, even if only one. God's love made known is worth it, even if only to one." -- Katie Davis, Kisses From Katie

He has made everything beautiful in its time. He has also set eternity in the human heart; yet no one can fathom what God has done from beginning to end. -- Ecclesiastes 3:11


This child is a dream! I cannot believe she is ours. Hard to even know where to begin to tell you about today, but here goes...
We got to the Civil Affairs office at 2:30 and after doing some paperwork, our guide told us that we would be the first to get our baby. We scrambled for cameras, and with grandmas and kids in tow we turned the corner and there she was. I looked at her and she grinned. I reached for her and she flashed a big smile that showed the few teeth that she has. She didn't hesitate at all and she looked all around, taking everything in. She smiled many times at the kids when they loved on her, especially when Britton was around. Her eyes followed him wherever he went. She played with the toys we brought. She never cried. She never looked sad. She just played and looked around and flashed the occasional smile. Very content amidst the chaos of the day and the screams of other children in the room. The room seemed so familiar as it was the place we got Lia Kate in three years ago. Our moms picked out a spot on the couches that happened to be exactly where we sat when we got Lia Kate. Toward the end of our time there, she started getting sleepy, so I put her in the Ergo and she dozed off. 
Big sister and big brother

Holding our Kate in the same room we first held her. She was so excited to be there.

We got to talk with the official from Zhuhai who brought CC to Guangzhou. She is a very sweet woman. She gave us a framed work of art for CC that is beautiful. And also gave us a flash drive with pictures of CC, a photo album, a large container of formula, some rice cereal and a bottle. We are thankful. We also made plans with her to visit the orphanage on Thursday.

After running to the store, we came back to the hotel where she slept in the Ergo for awhile. After her nap (she typically naps from 5 to 6 p.m.), I laid her down on the bed to change her diaper. Imagine my surprise, when she immediately rolled over, got on all fours and crawled a bit, then went to sitting position. The orphanage didn't say anything about her being mobile. CC is only 9 months old but because of typical orphanage delays, I expected her to be a wobbly sitter at best. Um, not the case. She may be small and a preemie, but the girl can move.  I put her down on the floor and she immediately started crawling. I took her next door into the room our moms and kids are staying in and she was all over the place. She crawled over to a stool, pulled up on it to a standing position and started cruising the table! The orphanage didn't say anything about that either. I am still in shock. They did say she was not very cooperative when having her clothes changed. That is true. She isn't cooperative because she wants to crawl away! She is constantly moving, but is one of the happiest babies I have been around. The orphanage was right about that one. They have said this in every update I have gotten on her. She only cried a handful of times today. Once, when she fell down. Once, when I put her down to make a bottle and she wanted to be held. And, once when I handed her to Danny when she wanted me. I'll take that. 

She has made great eye contact with me when I have fed her a bottle...staring at me the whole time and occasionally putting her hand on my face. I can tell she has gotten great care and has been very loved in all of her 9 months of life.

I broke all my rules of what not to do on Gotcha Day...number one being, not to change her clothes and two being, not to give a bath, as both can be traumatizing in such a new situation. But she got formula all over her clothes (she is a messy eater) and she spit up a lot, so I gave her a sink bath and she loved it. Played and splashed in the water. 

She has smiled and laughed too many times to count. She has also babbled some in a sweet little voice. She loves looking at herself in the mirror and she loves "playing the drums" on furniture. She even dances on her little toothpick legs when music is on. 

I thought she would never get tired and fall asleep, but she finally did. After about an hour of cruising the crib, I handed her a soft blankie. She grabbed it, laid down, stuck her thumb in her mouth and started making the sweetest "guh guh guh" sounds. She was fast asleep in five minutes. We will see what the rest of the night holds.

I am going to bed the happiest mama tonight. This little girl is more amazing than I even dreamed she would be. We are thankful for her little life, and that we get to be her parents and love her forever. Soli deo gloria.

Family of 5


With the official from Zhuhai City Social Welfare Institute
  

This is one of my favorite pictures of the day. So typical.

Sisters

Britton wants to hold her cheeks all the time



Fast asleep

You can see how little she is. I'd guess she is about 14 pounds 
and she fits perfectly into size 6 month clothes. Her feet are tiny.

Standing, crawling, cruising. Oh boy.


After a bath, ready for bed

14 comments:

  1. What a precious, sweet little girl!!! So happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a precious, sweet little girl!!! So happy for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So thrilled for you! She's a honey, for sure! God is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praise be to God!! Thanks for sharing the beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's so cute I can hardly stand it! I can't wait to meet her face to face :) so thankful it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's so cute I can hardly stand it! I can't wait to meet her face to face :) so thankful it's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Emily, she is angelic! So thrilled that today was beyond what we all would have ever thought. God has truly blessed today. Can't wait to follow your trip in China. Congratulations on another beautiful baby.
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praising the Lord with you! What a treasure! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful family of five! Happy to read Gotcha Day went very well. God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. If she isn't just the cutest, teeniest little thing?! What a beauty! Your family's joy and love are written all over these pictures! Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. God is so good!! She is absolutely precious! I love how LiaKate and Britton gaze at her and she smiles back at them. Oh, joy overflows for you all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ohhhh my! What an absolute doll. So happy things are going well for you all, especially CC!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey sweet friend! I have been reading all the posts on my phone so I"m finally sitting here on my computer so I can type out comments. :) Emily, CC is such a doll! Her features are absolutely gorgeous and perfect. Her personality and demeanor seem to be so sweet and content. And I love all the pictures of Britton and Lia Kate with her. I just can't wait for Maryn and Collins to play together.

    ReplyDelete